Friday, July 29, 2011

What is a "Good" Christian?

For the past few months I've been asking myself am I friendly atheist or an angry atheist.  Is it better to be one over the other?  I like to believe for the most part I am a friendly atheist...until it no long a time to be friendly.  I thank both Hemant Mehta of the Friendly Atheist blog and P.Z. Myers of the Pharyngula blog, both spectrum.

Now, events of the past week have made me ask, what is a good Christian?  How do Christians justify their "goodness"?  The first even of the recent past was the tragedy that occurred in Norway, Anders Behring Breivik, a self professed "Crusader for Christ" is detailed in his manifesto.  Yes, we know that Breivik is irrational, but what prompted that irrationality to manifest itself as violence?  Was it his interpretation of the Word?  Was he a good Christian? What about the murderer, Scott Roeder,  of abortion doctor George Tiller, killed leaving his church?  Was he a good Christian? 

Yes, Breivik and Roeder, not necessarily in their right minds.  But what I believe is truly disturbing is the lack of outrage and outright refusal by Christians to publicly denounce these or any tragic events.  The silence of Christians is probably the most frightening aspect of their religion.  If you believe something is wrong, do something about it!  Stop being silent, sure believe in whatever faith you have, but show some indignation!

This silence is not limited to acts of violence committed by Christians, but by what Christian "leaders" say.  Where is the furor from all Christians when Pat Robertson blames Hurricane Katrina on the "gays" and saying "Haiti had a pact with the devil".  Where are the good Christians when Bill O'Reilly from Faux Fox News is saying Breivik isn't Christian. 

Even closer to home, looks of disdain when an atheist is brave enough to wear a shirt or symbol of his atheism.  Yes this happens!  Where are you good Christian person?  An atheist was recently on Fox News speaking about the World Trade Center cross controversy.  As a result, his facebook page has been flooded with death threats of the most violent and horrific nature.

Yup, I'm a good atheist.  I'll listen to your point of view (won't agree with it unless there it evidence).  I will support your first amendment rights.  I will be your friend.  But if you want my respect, if you want to be a good Christian, start standing up for what you know is true!  Stand up for what you know is right!  Until then, I'll still be your friend, but respect?  That has to be earned and I have seen very few Christians come out and be brave enough to say something.

SB

1 comment: